Friday, November 30, 2012

Emotional Time of Year

So, as many people know, I love Christmas—like, excited for Christmas by February love it. And around this time of year, I kind of get emotional. No, not sad emotional. Embarrassing emotional because everything is so wonderful.

I kind of might possibly cry a lot this time of year and also gush and also smile so big that I can't stop, and people probably wonder what my deal is. But rather than being too embarrassed, I'm going to embrace it this year! I've kind of been laughing at myself already and just enjoying the joy.

Some radio stations have already started playing Christmas music—some of them all the time and others just occasionally. I don't want to get burnt out, so I'm only listening to some of it for now, but I have no rules on Christmas music. I listen to it when I want to, at any time of the year. On Tuesday or Wednesday, I was driving to work, and Where Are You Christmas came on one of the country stations. I like that song, so I turned it up and started singing (loudly) along. It was so wonderful because it's beautiful and I love singing and it brings me memories of past Christmases that I got a little emotional, and then I just laughed at myself for the rest of the drive.

I also tend to hear more stories than usual about people serving and being kind around this time of year. These stories touch me. I'm kind of in love with THIS story right now. It's about a police officer in New York who bought a homeless man boots. Stories of love like this make me cry sometimes, whether it's December or June. And although it would be better if people were kind and service-oriented year-round, I don't think that being reminded of kindness and people serving more around this time of year is a bad thing.

So, obviously, I'm actually emotional year-round, but there are a lot more things that bring out my emotions this time of year. It's A Wonderful Life gets me every time, and it's one of my favorite Christmas movies. The reminders of Christ during this time of year touch me. And sometimes the combination of all of these things just make me so happy that I feel like I'm going to burst with joy. I don't know if anyone else gets this way, but I'm happy to be me. I'm happy that I am able to feel such joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment