Monday, November 11, 2013

How a consistent lack of sleep has affected me

So, I have not been getting much sleep. It's bad. But between the 10-hour school/work days, a several hours of homework each night, and several other things, it's kind of difficult to make sleep happen. But I need to fix this. Lack of sleep doesn't really do great things for me, or anyone probably.

So, here is the thing. I can actually function pretty well without much sleep. I don't even feel too sleepy most of the time, but here is how sleep does affect me negatively:

  • I am incredibly grumpy without enough sleep. I pretty much hate mornings (more so than I would anyway) and hate other things. I'm not typically a hater.
  • This is similar, but I am so very irritable without sleep. I feel so annoyed with people all the time. And the thing is that I know that this is mainly my problem, so then I feel annoyed with my irritability. It's a rude cycle. 
  • I feel achy and like I just want to be lazy.
  • I don't know if this is from lack of sleep, but I heard sleep deprivation can cause this problem, but I crave sugar all the time these days! What happened to healthy me? I think healthy me is still there, but wait, where are the cookies?
  • I feel like my memory is terrible. Things I have known for a long time, I now have a hard time remembering. And remembering new things: good luck to myself with that! Normally I'm pretty good with names, but not so much right now. 
  • I don't feel like I experience life fully. I actually still do a lot and have the energy to do a lot, but I feel like I get a little bit detached. 
  • I keep feeling like sickness is coming. 
Ok, so I need to stop with this sleep deprivation fiasco. So, what am I going to do? Well, I think I want to set a goal. Here it goes. Getting fewer than six hours of sleep a night is not an option for me. You would think that this goal is not too bad, but it's actually kind of stressful to me. How am I supposed to get everything done that I need to? So, I need to remember to be nice to myself if this doesn't happen, but I also need to make this a major goal. I need to plan ahead where possible to make this happen.

Wish me luck on my sleep endeavors! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, Michelle! That is no fun. I love the feeling of squeezing important things in every minute of your day, but sometimes your body will lay down the law. I'm glad you're listening to it. It's better to do it now than later.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you the best of luck! And the best part is, once the semester's over, you have a few days off where you can maybe/probably get a little more rest. I'll cross my fingers that you can meet your goal for the next month!

    ReplyDelete